Turmeric is a root that is dried and ground up and is then used in traditional and alternative medicine traditions, such as Chinese medicine and Ayurvedic medicine, as an anti-inflammatory agent.Those uses include using turmeric to treat a variety of skin issues, such as skin protection during radiation, eczema, and itching, but could include other issues, such as acne.However, you should consult with your doctor if you are considering using turmeric to treat your acne, as you should with all home remedies. While there is very little research to verify the efficacy of using turmeric on the skin, including using it to treat acne, many people assert that it has made a big difference in clearing up their conditions.
Using a Turmeric Face Mask
Pick a recipe or create your own. There are a variety of turmeric mask recipes that can be used on your face. These combine turmeric with ingredients that will both help your skin and help the turmeric stick to your skin. Common ingredients for a turmeric face mask include: honey, yogurt, milk, avocado, oat or chickpea flour, and lemon.
- One recipe you can use is to combine two tablespoons of chickpea flour, a quarter teaspoon of turmeric powder, two teaspoons of honey, and enough yogurt, milk, or water to make the mixture into a paste.
- For a really simple mask, simply combine a quarter teaspoon turmeric with two tablespoons of honey. This mixture is easily applied to the face due to the stickiness of the honey.
- Make your own special combination if you like! If you have any of the ingredients normally used in face masks on hand, simply combine what you have and use it.
- Gather ingredients. You can find dried turmeric in most natural food stores in the dietary supplement section. You can also easily find it and buy it online. If you are interested in using fresh turmeric, look at your local natural food store.
- Fresh turmeric is usually stored near fresh ginger in your store’s produce section. It is not always available, so if you can’t find it be sure to ask the produce worker at your store if it is available.
- Make the mask. Combine the ingredients of your mask in a bowl, being sure to mix ingredients completely. Whatever recipe you chose, make sure that the resulting mixture is liquid enough to apply to the face but not so runny that it will run off your face. This means that it should be the consistency of a thick mud.
Apply the mask. Apply the turmeric mask so it comes in direct contact with your acne. Use your fingers, or a spoon or small spatula, to smooth the mixture all over your face. Like with all beauty masks, be sure to avoid getting it in your eyes, nose, or mouth, as this would be uncomfortable.
- Put a thin layer of the mask on your face. Some people worry that the turmeric will stain their face yellow. While there is little chance of this, you can remove any residual yellowness by lightly scrubbing the skin with a paste made of chickpea flour.
- Wash off the mask. Leave your turmeric mask on for at least ten minutes. You can leave it on for longer but most masks should be washed off after they have dried on your face completely, which usually takes about 20 to 30 minutes.This will allow the turmeric to come into contact with your acne. If you like, you can keep it one until it dries, which could be a long time depending on the ingredients of your specific mask.
- Wash off the mask with clean, warm water. This will make sure that all ingredients are removed and that they don’t clog your pores, which would add to your acne problems instead of helping them.
- Take turmeric in pill form. While the anti-inflammatory properties of turmeric need more scientific investigation, many people take it regularly in hopes of reducing inflammation in general. If you want to treat your acne with turmeric, one way you can do that is by ingesting it and one easy way to take it daily is in pill form.
- Consult with your doctor before taking turmeric to make sure that it will not interact with any medicines that you are taking and that it is safe for you to take.
- Dried turmeric in pill form is usually available in all natural food stores but it is also available online.
- In order to figure out dosing, follow the directions on the packaging of your specific turmeric pills.
- Add turmeric to your food. Turmeric is probably best known as a food additive and spice. It is used to turn foods yellow, including curries and mustard, and has a bitter taste. Try adding it to your favorite recipes to incorporate it into your diet.
- One food that turmeric can easily be added to is rice. If using one cup of uncooked rice, add between one half and one tablespoon of turmeric powder to the rice before cooking, depending on the level of flavor and color you desire. The turmeric will turn the rice a bright yellow and will give it a wonderful flavor.
- Drink a turmeric beverage. Another way to take turmeric it to mix it into a tea or a milk and drink it. This will allow you to enjoy the flavor of the turmeric in a warm or cold beverage.
- Turmeric milk can be bought at many natural food stores or can be made at home. If you want to make it, simply add a small amount of turmeric powder or fresh turmeric, between a quarter and a half teaspoon dry or one inch fresh, to a pot. Combine with one cup of your favorite milk, one cup of water, and additional spices, such as nutmeg, cinnamon, and allspice, and then bring to a simmer. You can use traditional cow’s milk or a non-dairy substitute, like soy milk. There are also turmeric products sold that are made to be mixed into milk that contain spices and sweeteners in addition to the turmeric.
- Turmeric tea is available from commercial tea companies in tea bags. You can also make your own turmeric tea with dried or fresh turmeric. Combine a small amount of turmeric, one teaspoon dried or one inch of fresh, with one cup of hot water. You can add a variety of ingredients as well, including cinnamon, ginger, honey, and lemon.